Office 365 is the newest Microsoft service offering online versions of Microsoft software in the Cloud and all resources for effective work: business class e-mail on the Exchange Server, SharePoint Portal, Office 2010 and Lync-Online.
Despite the wide variety of functionality available in Lync-Online, Lync as a cloud solution has a number of limitations, which does not allow its full integration with telephony and to replace or extend the functionality of PBX. As a solution of this problem we suggest replacing Lync Online with Lync On-premise fully integrated with Office 365.
Technical specification of implementation
Installation of Lync On-premise is realize on client’s servers or in data center (colocation). Public SIP provider connects to the deployed infrastructure and allows connection with PSTN.
At least 3 virtual machines are required for the implementation. If SIP-provider cannot receive SIP-traffic through TCP, it is required to install additional physical or virtual VoIP-gateway.
Requirements for virtual machines (for 20 users):
- 1st server Windows 2008R2 Standard RAM 1Gb, HDD 40GB, 2 NIC, 2 CPU x64 (1 internet access, 2 VLAN) MS Lync Edge role.
- 2nd server Windows 2008R2 Standard RAM 1Gb, HDD 40GB, 2 NIC, 2 CPU x64 (1 internet access, 2 VLAN) MS Lync front end and mediation role.
- 3rd server Windows 2008R2 Standard RAM 2Gb, HDD 40GB, 1 NIC, 2 CPU x64 (VLAN) Active Directory controller.
- 4th server for virtual VoIP Gateway RAM 512Mb, HDD 15GB, 2 NIC, 1CPU, (internet, LAN) or hardware VoIP gateway for sip trunk with SIP provider.
Virtual machines can be placed on any of the popular hypervisors, VMware ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix XenServer.
For implementation of Lync On-premise, a certificate from a 3rd party certificate authority is essential. For example, Goddady, DigiCert, VeriSign, Commodo.
Requirements to licenses
Plan E4 Office 365 covers all the required clients’ licenses, including extended/updated Enterprise CAL and Plus CAL. Only following server licenses needs to be purchased:
- Windows 2008R2 Standard – 3 editions;
- Lync Server 2010 Standard Edition – 1 edition.
Replacement of Lync-online cloud by On-premise allows complete integration of the local telephony with unified communications system. It permits to abandon office PBX in favor of the next-generation platform. Implementation of this solution lets the companies not only to expand their business potential, but also to use the following unique features:
- Public switched telephone network (PSTN) calling via Lync incoming and outgoing;
- Anywhere local calls access;
- Call controls: hold, transfer, forward, simultaneous ring;
- Voice policies;
- Response groups, IVR;
- Call park;
- Lync conference dial-in from PSTN;
- Voice mail with Exchange online;
- Lync IP Phones and Devices.
Any company can combine the benefits of cloud-enabled services and On-Premise technology to get the most effective infrastructure in terms of business requirements.